This update report will provide a general overview of what monkeypox is, the current outbreak, and what steps can be taken in response. Establishing infection control teams, monitoring outbreaks, and raising awareness of risks are effective ways public health communities can work together to fight against the emerging monkeypox threat.
What is Monkeypox
The Current Monkeypox Outbreak
For the latest case count numbers, the CDC is offering a 2022 Monkeypox Outbreak Global Map.
How to Respond
The response to the global monkeypox health emergency is multifaceted. The World Health Organization, the CDC, and other large, specialized health agencies are working diligently to research, control, prevent, and treat this outbreak. Smaller and more local health departments also play a critical role in the fight against monkeypox spread. The following steps are suggestions for how local health agencies and departments can respond to this threat in their own communities
- Establish a Monkeypox Infection Control Team
Monkeypox cases are increasing daily all across the globe. As a result, local health departments should assume that the virus will make its way to their communities (if it hasn’t already) and should establish a dedicated infection control team to spearhead the response.
The more proactive a community can be regarding this emerging viral threat, the more likely it will be able to respond with a strategic and well-thought-out action plan. During the recent international emergency committee meeting, the WHO Director-General emphasized the importance of being prepared.
Creating an infection control team is the first step in developing an intentional and focused plan to face this threat
- Monitor Community Outbreaks
With an infection control team established, local health departments should be able to monitor community outbreaks
- Educate on Risks and Resources
Your Public Health Partner
If you need assistance developing and implementing a monkeypox response plan in your community, we can help. We offer solutions that include infection control, monitoring and evaluation, contact tracing, or even consulting and support for your existing teams. Here at AB Med, our healthcare experts have the knowledge and skills necessary to help you strategically and efficiently respond to this emerging threat.
Let’s work together to help slow the spread of infection and keep your community safe.
REFERENCES & RESOURCES
- WHO declares monkeypox a global health emergency as infections soar. (n.d.). Washington Post. [online] Available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/07/23/monkeypox-who-global-emergency/.
- World Health Organization: WHO (2022). Monkeypox. [online] Who.int. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox.
- CDC (2019). Signs and Symptoms. [online] Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/symptoms.html.
- www.cdc.gov. (2018). Transmission | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html.
- www.who.int. (n.d.). Monkeypox outbreak 2022. [online] Available at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/situations/monkeypox-oubreak-2022.
- www.cdc.gov. (2022). 2022 U.S. Map & Case Count | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/us-map.html.
- www.cdc.gov. (2022). 2022 Monkeypox and Orthopoxvirus Outbreak Global Map | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/world-map.html.
- www.who.int. (n.d.). Second meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR) Emergency Committee regarding the multi-country outbreak of monkeypox. [online] Available at: https://www.who.int/news/item/23-07-2022-second-meeting-of-the-international-health-regulations-(2005)-(ihr)-emergency-committee-regarding-the-multi-country-outbreak-of-monkeypox.
- CDC (2022). Monkeypox in the U.S. [online] Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/cdc-response.html..
- www.cdc.gov. (2022). Reducing Stigma in Monkeypox Communication and Community Engagement | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/reducing-stigma.html.
- www.cdc.gov. (2022). Considerations for Monkeypox Vaccination | Monkeypox | Poxvirus | CDC. [online] Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/considerations-for-monkeypox-vaccination.html.