November 15, 2018 is National Rural Health Day. Throughout the nation, top-level staff in rural health care facilities are taking action to promote and build upon the opportunity that National Rural Health Day provides. Because rural executives value teamwork, we encourage others to share ideas and to join us in scheduling events, giving recognition to outstanding employees and members of the community, and participating in webinars and other activities. We know that National Rural Health Day activities can make a difference in rural communities. Let us collaborate with employees, stakeholders and community members to make a difference for all rural communities.
Our day is almost here! Are you ready?
Here is how you can participate in the.
of National Rural Health Day
In 2010, the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health, or “NOSORH,” designated the third Thursday of November as National Rural Health Day. The organization recognized that rural residents are healthier when they do not have to leave their community to find quality health care. Organization members felt that an annual observance of National Rural Health Day would heighten awareness throughout the United States of the need to support the efforts of everyone involved in making rural services related to human health readily available.
The focus of National Rural Health Day zooms in on the following three objectives:
- To give public recognition to those whose efforts are making a difference in providing and retaining excellent health care services in rural areas.
- To bring attention to the difficulties faced by residents in rural areas in finding quality health care close to home.
- To emphasize the importance of doing everything possible to help rural hospitals, nursing homes and other health care facilities keep their doors open and stay fully staffed.
All of us at AB Med Healthcare Solutions understand the seriousness of inadequate staffing, financial instability and hospital closures in rural communities. We are here to assist and are fully committed to helping you find answers to whatever problems you may face.
The National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health and all 50 state offices celebrate National Rural Health Day. These offices have united in creating useful planning tools for anyone who works to serve health needs in rural areas. The tools, available online, are designed to assist with outreach efforts and to provide ways to get both the community and your employees involved in events and activities chosen especially for National Rural Health Day, or “NRHD.”
Certain NRHD tools let you add your organization’s name, address, phone number, website and event information as well as the organization’s logo, creating a product that is uniquely yours.
Here are links to a few of these tools:
2018 National Rural Health Day Table Tent Card
2018 National Rural Health Day Poster
Press Release & Public Service Announcement
Children’s Coloring Book
Ways to Celebrate the Power of Rural on November 15
National Rural Health Day has become much more than just a day. NOSORH and its partners chose “Celebrating the Power of Rural” as their theme and “It’s not just a day, it’s a movement” as their slogan. Everyone is encouraged to add the hashtag “#powerofrural” to posts on Twitter, Facebook and other social media on November 15.
- Walk With a Doc
- Take the Pledge
Pledge to Help Transform National Rural Health Day into a Life-Changing Movement. AB Med has joined in taking action that can make a real difference in resolving health issues in rural communities throughout the nation. We have partnered with NOSORH and we are dedicated in improving healthcare for all.
- More Ways to Celebrate
- Record a simple introductory greeting to play when phone calls go to voice mail on November 15. The greeting might say, “Hi. Happy National Rural Health Day.”
- Add an icon or greeting to your email signature to show your support.
- Visit a morning news show that films the audience as it broadcasts. Hold up a sign that displays the words, “Happy National Rural Health Day.”
- Coordinate with your local school to hold a rural-themed poster, essay or coloring contest. Begin the contest or award prizes on National Rural Health Day. Arrange for winning entries to be prominently displayed somewhere in your community.
- Send a letter to the editor of your newspaper to emphasize the importance of keeping good health care readily accessible to anyone who happens to be in your community.
- Give a tour of your facility.
- Place National Rural Health Day table tent cards in senior citizen centers, school and hospital cafeterias, waiting rooms and restaurants.
REFERENCES & RESOURCES
- Health Resources and Services Administration: National Rural Health Day https://www.hrsa.gov/rural-health/about-us/rural-healthday.html
- National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health: The Power of Rural – National Rural Health Day Toolkit https://www.powerofrural.org/nrhd-tookit/
- Rural Health Information Hub: Access to Healthcare in Rural Communities – Twitter Chat https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/twitter-chats/healthcare-access
- National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health: Rural Health in National Spotlight for National Rural Health Day https://nosorh.org/rural-health-in-national-spotlight-for-national-rural-health-day/
- National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health: 2018 National Rural Health Day https://nosorh.org/calendar-events/nrhd/
- National Today: National Rural Health Day 2018 – November 15 https://nationaltoday.com/national-rural-health-day/
By: Erik McLaughlin MD, MPH and Aikaterini Papadopoulou, B.Arch